GPSN's New Website is Under Construction
Give us your feedback and you could win a prize!
Please note: Applications for the 2013-2014 GPSN First Wave Scholarship Program have now closed.
The GPSN First Wave Scholarship Program offers an opportunity for medical students in their first or second year to experience general practice under the guidance of a dedicated general practice supervisor.
Third and fourth year medical students from South Australia and Western Australian universities can also apply for a placement with an Indigenous health provider.
There is a choice of two different experiences for interested students:
• Clinical General Practice Scholarship
• Indigenous Health Training Scholarship
The program allows medical students to embark on an experience of general practice that is positive and inspiring. The benefits of the general practice experience is supplemented by structured exposure to affiliated allied health services, reinforcing the growing importance of the multidisciplinary approach in patient care.
Read what past scholars have said about their experiences of the First Wave Scholarship Program:
• If it weren’t for the GPSN scholarship, I would’ve…. well to be honest, before this scholarship I completely wiped GP off my list of top three careers. But now, it’s one of my three careers! - Second year medical student
• The scholarship program introduced me to a number of rural GPs who have special interests in areas that interest me, such as obs/gyn and skin cancer. Seeing how they have created their practices was very encouraging for me, and makes general practice a more realistic option now I see that I may be able to shape my own practice around my own interests - Second year medical student
• This is definitely going to be my chosen career path and I think that getting a taste of the small community life in an academic setting was a wonderful way of breaking the ice! - First year medical student